Remember, Fireworks can hurt so safety first!!
Severe burns, amputations, blinding, and even deaths are often the result of 4th of July celebrations. As the holiday nears, many fires will be caused when unsupervised children use fireworks. Parents are liable for any damage or injuries caused by their children using fireworks. The Fire Department recommends the following tips for Safe and Sane Fireworks use.
All legal fireworks in California are called Safe and Sane Fireworks.
- All Safe and Sane Fireworks must bear the State Fire Marshal’s seal.
- Have an adult present when Safe and Sane fireworks are to be used by children.
- Always have a bucket of water to dispose of fireworks.
- Always have a hose connected to water available in case of fire.
- It is illegal to sell, give, or deliver dangerous fireworks to anyone under 18 years of age.
- It is illegal to point or throw a dangerous firework into a crowd or at people.
- The sale or transfer of Safe and Sane Fireworks may only occur at a fixed place of business which is licensed and permitted to sell Safe and Sane Fireworks.
- If fireworks explode or leave the ground, it is illegal in California.
- Do not use fireworks near dry grass or other flammable materials.
- Do not use fireworks while under a canopy, covered balcony, covered patio or under a tree or bushes.
- Never attempt to re-light or “fix” fireworks.
- In many communities, the sale and use of Safe and Sane Fireworks may be prohibited. Be aware of your local laws. Failure to comply may result in confiscation, citation, and prosecution.
Please visit the Los Angeles Department page on fireworks safety here for more information: https://www.fire.lacounty.gov/safety-messages/fireworks-safety/
For a list of locations with professional fireworks shows in Los Angeles County on the 4th of July, please visit: https://www.lafd.org/news/celebrate-safely-public-fireworks-show-los-angeles